Your Grounded Sage Floral Aura is Peony!
Hello beautiful! Let’s get to know your skin better!
By the time you finish checking out this page, you’ll know:
- The benefits of being a peony
- What specific actions to focus on to achieve balance as a peony
- Pitfalls to watch out for as a peony
- Our top product picks for peonies
- Extra peony-specific resources
You’ve landed here because you can say yes to at least 4 of these points
- Your skin is typically dry and/or prone to dryness
- Your skin can be classified as thin, fragile or fine
- Your skin tends to be dull in tone and lack luminosity
- You find that your skin often feels tight
- You experience flaking and/or peeling often
- The texture of your skin feels rough/bumpy in a non-acne way
- You have a grey / ashy tone to your skin
- It often feels like there is a build-up of dead skin cells on the surface of your skin
- Your skin feels like it can’t get enough moisture
- You experience breakouts due to hormonal changes, possibly due to menopause
- You’re concerned with working an anti-aging protocol into your skincare routine
- You’d like to reduce the appearance of fine lines
- You’ve noticed a change in your skin over after having kids, or a major life event (examples could include but aren’t limited to moving, divorce, career change, retiring, etc).
Benefits of being a Peony
- An excess of oil is usually not a problem for you. As we age, the process of oil production tends to gradually slow down and mid-day oil blotting isn’t as necessary.
- Due to the reduction of oil production (and thus bacteria), you’re also less likely to deal with breakouts.
- The lack of oils also means that you are free to pamper your skin with rich, luxurious ingredients like fruit and nut butter.
Your Top 3 Focuses for balanced skin are
As we start to lose the natural oils that moisturize our skin, our skin because highly prone to hydration loss. Without those protective natural oils, hydration is quickly drawn out from our skin so using a hydrating product in your routine is a must. Hydration, interestingly enough, is the most commonly missed piece of the puzzle when it comes to skincare. Work a healthy dose of hydration into your skincare routine by applying a hydrator before your moisturizer (your moisturizer will help seal in your hydrator so your skin can drink it up rather than all that hydration evaporating).
- For a gel-like hydrator, go with our Hydra Healing Gel.
- For a mist hydrator, go with our Comfrey & Willow Bark Hydrating Toner.
Not sure which one is right for you? Start with Comfrey & Willow Bark Hydrating Toner. If after a month you find it's not hydrating enough, move up to Hydra Healing Gel.
2) An antioxidant-rich routine:
Antioxidants are nature’s anti-aging gems. They help restore tone and texture, all while preventing further damage from free radicals. They also boost skin cell regeneration to improve cellular turnover for healthy new skin.
Focus on a skincare routine that provides your skin with lots of antioxidant support, like our Safflower Support Facial Moisturizer and Botanical Boost Eye Serum - both of which can be used in a morning or evening routine. Many find they like to use these products in the evening so they can layer on a generous dose to support the reparative work our skin does at night.
3) Protecting skin from further extrinsic skin aging:
When it comes to signs of aging that we can control, as well as protecting our cells from damage, sun exposure is at the top of the list.
- While intrinsic skin aging (aging of the skin that occurs naturally) is something we have no control over, extrinsic skin aging (aging of the skin due to exposure and environmental factors) is something we have a lot of control over - and the number one extrinsic skin aging factor? Sun exposure.
Food for thought…
- One of the first signs of extrinsic skin aging is uneven skin tone - this splotchy discolouration of the skin is caused by the skin trying to defend itself against sun exposure.
- Inflammation is another massive factor in the health of our skin. We want to keep inflammation as low as possible so our skin can function correctly, comfortably, and radiantly. Chronic inflammation, including from cumulative sun exposure, causes damage to DNA in cells, fibroblasts (they produce collagen in the skin, which gives firmness to the skin), and elastin (which provides flexibility to the skin)
Protect your skin from cumulative sun exposure by ensuring that you're applying a moisturizer in the morning that has heaps of zinc or titanium dioxide in it (nature's two broad-spectrum sun-blocking ingredients). If you're unsure whether your daytime moisturizer provides enough sun protection, apply a dedicated sunscreen overtop of your moisturizer (just be sure to let your moisturizer absorb fully first).
Top pitfalls for a Peony
- Not having a fully balanced routine! Every skin care routine needs to contain a cleanser, exfoliator, hydrator, and moisturizer. Each piece is interconnected and missing just one of these can perpetuate your skin concerns.
- Not using plush enough moisturizers. Your skin is likely to soak up anything and everything it’s given, so why not provide it with the richest ingredients available. Look for moisturizers that don’t just contain oils, but also fruit or nut butter. These will go a long way to help restore the lost moisture in your skin.
- Skipping out on antioxidants. Your skin likely needs some help in the cellular regeneration department. Antioxidants are the best way to boost this aspect. When our skin regeneration isn’t up to par, the skin looks dull and grey.
- Skipping a morning cleanse. Not cleansing your skin in the morning because it’s not oily (or you feel like you don’t need it) can actually be a big mistake. The reason it’s so important to give your skin a fresh start, even if you did a full facial routine the night before, is while we sleep, our skin is in repair mode. During this process, it secretes toxins and sebum – both of which will keep your daytime products from working effectively. With skin like yours, we want to make sure nothing is in the way of your antioxidant packed, rich products absorbing and getting to work.
Made it here without taking the Floral Aura Skin Personality Quiz? Oops! Let’s make sure you’re right the right spot. Head over here to take the quiz now.