Your Grounded Sage Floral Aura is Desert Marigold!
Hello beautiful! Let’s get to know your skin better!
By the time you finish checking out this page, you’ll know:
- The benefits of being a desert marigold
- What specific actions to focus on to achieve balance as a desert marigold
- Pitfalls to watch out for as a desert marigold
- Our top product picks for desert marigolds
- Extra desert marigold-specific resources
You’ve landed here because you can say yes to at least 4 of these points
- You notice large pores on your nose, but not as noticeable on the rest of your face
- You’re prone to areas flaking or drying out
- You feel like it is necessary to exfoliate daily
- Makeup is hard to apply in a manner that looks smooth without exfoliating
- Your skin tends to feel better after a rich moisturizer has been applied
- Your skin can feel like it becomes easily stripped
- Your breakouts may occur in correlation with your monthly cycle, even when no pore-clogging ingredients are present in your routine
- You feel like your skin is prone to fine lines
- Your skin feels rough or “less than baby soft” by the end of the day
Benefits of being a Desert Marigold
- While dealing with acne is not an easy chore or fun, Desert Marigolds tend to have better emotional balance in dealing with the little things in life. You’re used to a challenge and find rolling with the punches slightly less overwhelming.
- Your skin tends to be a really good communicator. It lets you know when something’s wrong; it’s just about learning how to read the signs.
- Your type of acne is almost always tied to an internal cause. This makes it hard for you to get away with things you know will cause a breakout – This is a benefit because it means you have a built-in system that will encourage you to take care of yourself! Figuring out the internal causes is the trickiest part, once you know that it’s just a matter of working around them.
Your Top 3 Focuses for balanced skin are
1) Gentle exfoliation: Of all the Floral Auras, your skin is the most prone to sticky cells. These types of dead skin cells cling on leading to breakouts and blockages for your pores. Gentle abrasion is good for the ones that make it to the surface of your skin, but these cells are also found inside our pores. That’s why it’s important to also include an exfoliator that contains enzymes (pineapple is our favourite). These enzymes are able to eat away at the sticky cells inside your pores. This doesn’t mean you should start over-exfoliating your delicate and inflamed skin, though. Alternate between the two based on what your skin can handle. For example, super gentle and clarifying Willow Bark Micellar Cleansing Water in the morning, deep cleaning Green Tea & Pineapple Cleanser in the evening, and if needed, PHA Pore Purifying Facial Scrub (which provides physical and enzyme exfoliation) once a week.
2) Supporting your lipid barrier: Desert Marigolds usually find that their lipid barrier is weak and in need of repair. Your lipid barrier is the key piece of armour your skin has against environmental stresses, sensitivity, irritation, and dehydration. It’s also how your skin holds in moisture and hydration. When the lipid barrier is compromised, the air draws the hydration out of your skin faster, leaving it prone to dryness and inflammation. Look for products that contain rich oils that will help rebuild your lipid barrier and protect your skin when it’s weak. Great examples include our Mango & Pineapple Facial Moisturizer and Soothing Shea Facial Moisturizer.
3) Hydrating your skin: While hydration is a key component to any skincare routine, your hydrating products should be boosted with other acne-fighting ingredients. Look for hydrators that contain antibacterial and soothing ingredients alongside their hydrating properties (our Comfrey & Willow Bark Hydrating Toner is a perfect example).
Top 3 pitfalls for a Desert Marigold
- Not having a fully balanced routine! Every skin care routine needs to contain a cleanser, exfoliator, hydrator and skin moisturizer. Each piece is interconnected and missing just one of these can perpetuate your skin concerns.
- Not using nourishing oils AND butters. We picked the desert marigold for your skin personality for a reason – your skin can quickly dry up (either on the outer most layers of your skin or a bit deeper) when you’re not nourishing it with luscious, creamy, rich ingredients. Think mango, shea, and cocoa butters. Coconut too! For oils, think sea buckthorn, macadamia, and hazelnut.
- Ignoring your skin’s communication signals: Breakouts are caused by some form of inflammation in the body. Whether it’s allergies, hormones, gut health, there is a reason that’s deeper than the surface. Start listening and tracking your skin’s reactions to a certain situation, products, environments and more. Pinpointing the causes and triggers behind your breakouts may take some time, but you can get there! This also means you never want to solely focus on topical solutions for your breakouts. While they can help in the short term, they can’t provide long-term, sustainable solutions without internal healing too.
- Avoiding Exfoliation: Many Desert Marigolds are afraid to exfoliation for fear that it will irritate their skin. Exfoliation from gentle AHA fruit enzymes is especially crucial for you as your skin is highly susceptible to sticky cells. Remember, exfoliation doesn’t necessary mean abrasion. The goal is to remove dead skin cells and other debris without compromising our lipid barrier.
Resources every Desert Marigold should read
- How to clear acne with the right moisturizer
- How to pick the best cleanser for acne prone skin
- Underlying causes and the breakouts they produce
- Face mapping: pinpointing internal causes behind skin problems
- The inside scoop on insulin – why spikes can cause acne
- Hormonal acne: Tips for how to clear it internally
- What you need to know about oil cleansing for acne prone skin
- The best foundation for textured (or dry) skin (plus how to apply!)
- PERIOD BREAKOUTS: Reduce their occurrence by prepping your skin
Made it here without taking the Floral Aura Skin Personality Quiz? Oops! Let’s make sure you’re right the right spot. Head over here to take the quiz now.