Your Grounded Sage Floral Aura is Sunflower!
Hello beautiful! Let’s get to know your skin better!
BIG NOTE: If you landed on Sunflower after answering “no” to having completed a skin detox while taking the quiz, don’t fret! You’re still in the right place. There is a lot of overlap between the actions for those who still need to do a detox and those who are true Sunflowers. If you haven’t detoxed yet, LET’S GET YOU STARTED!
By the time you finish checking out this page, you’ll know:
- The benefits of being a sunflower
- What specific actions to focus on to achieve balance as a sunflower
- Pitfalls to watch out for as a sunflower
- Our top product picks for sunflowers
- Extra sunflower specific resources
You’ve landed here because you can say yes to at least 4 of these points
- You would describe your skin as being oily (either all over, or specific areas like your t-zone)
- You’re prone to having blackheads
- Your skin becomes easily congested and pores look ‘full’
- You’re currently using products that contain ingredients that aren’t kind and clean
- You’ve been using products that are “oil-free” (perhaps because you’re afraid of adding oils to your skin)
- Your pores appear enlarged and more noticeable
- Even after you’ve exfoliated, your skin still feels congested
Benefits of being a Sunflower
- Your skin flora (a.k.a. your skin microbiome) tends to be well balanced, so acne breakouts aren’t a big concern for you.
- While blackheads may be present, this actually means that your skin is getting healthy quantities of oxygen. Blackheads are formed when oxidization occurs and turns the hardened sebum to a dark colour- hence ‘black’heads.
- The oils that are produced actually help to slow down the signs of aging because of the natural moisture levels in your skin.
Your Top 3 Focuses for balanced skin are
1) Removing the debris and build-up from your pores:
Congested skin is prone to inflammation, rough texture, blackheads, and poor absorption of skincare products. As a sunflower, your skin is prone to becoming congested easily so focus on using products that include congestion-busting ingredients help to pull debris from your pores. Look for ingredients like activated charcoal, fruit enzymes, and clays.
You'll also want to be mindful of when your skin could use some exfoliation. This doesn’t mean you'll need to reach for a scrub each time, you can switch things up by using with non-abrasive fruit enzymes too.
2) Balancing your oil production:
Most people with oily skin are scared to add oils into the mix. When in fact, oily skin needs oils to help find balance. One of the reasons our skin produces excess oil is to make up for a lack of healthy oils in our skin, or dehydration (due to our lipid barrier not being strong). Providing healthy building blocks for our skin (like plant-based oils) actually helps oily skin find balance. Examples of products that have plant-based oils that are also oily prone, congestion prone skin friendly include our Raw Radiance Facial Moisturizer and Balance Serum.
If your oil production really seems out of control, start to look to what your hormones are doing by speaking with a holistic health practitioner. They can help you navigate how to support your body from the inside out with approaches that support healthy hormone production.
3) Hydrating your skin:
If congestion comes easily to your skin, lubricating the pores with a dedicated hydrator will give your skin a helping hand at starting to loosen up the build-up of hardened oils in your pores. Hydrated is essential to providing a slip that your pores can use to push out obstructions - a hydrator with infused with plant extracts also helps to feed our skin with calming, nourishing vitamins, minerals, proteins, amino acids, and polysaccharides.
- For a serum-like hydrator, go with our Calendula Gel Hydrator.
- For a gel-like hydrator, go with our Hydra Healing Gel.
- For a mist hydrator, go with our Hydration Mist.
Not sure which one is right for you? Start with Hydration Mist. If after a month you find it's not hydrating enough, move up to Hydra Healing Gel. If you still need more hydration after that, go with our most hydrating of all, our Calendula Gel Hydrator, which is also the one we recommend for sensitive skin (should you ever find yourself needing sensitive skin support).
Top pitfalls for a Sunflower
- Not having a fully balanced routine! Every skin care routine needs to contain a cleanser, exfoliator, hydrator and skin moisturizer. Each piece is interconnected and missing just one of these can perpetuate your skin concerns.
- Hydration: Debris and sebum harden in the pores causing congestion and blockages. Your skin needs both oil and water to be able to naturally push these blockages out. This is also the most commonly missed piece of the puzzle when it comes to skin care.
- Avoiding oils all together: This is a common misperception for people with oily skin. Your skin produces excess oil to repair a damaged lipid barrier (your skin’s natural oil barrier) or when your skin is having a hard time holding on to hydration (aka water). When healthy, natural oils are present, your lipid barrier can repair itself and your skin will adjust its secretion levels. Just make sure the oils you decide to use aren’t in a formula with pore clogging ingredients (as a side note, we specialize in creating products rich in lipid barrier repairing oils while omitting any ingredients or ingredient combination that will clog pores).
- Not exfoliating enough / not using the right type of exfoliators: We tend to only think of surface level exfoliation, but to avoid congestion, exfoliation inside your pores is also important. This can be done through the use of fruit enzymes that are able to get inside the pore to help release debris.
Resources every Sunflower should read
- The 2 biggest mistakes Radiant Rebels with oily skin make
- What’s a skin reset and do I need one
- Will a skin detox help me with my blackheads
- Let’s conquer congestion – Daily tips to help keep pores free
- The Grounded Sage 30 Day Detox Challenge
- PERIOD BREAKOUTS: Reduce their occurrence by prepping your skin