Along with questions about acne and sensitive skin, I also get a lot of questions about dry skin. It’s not a surprise, really. Besides genetics and environmental factors, there are many reasons for dry skin. So, today, I’m answering the question: Why is my skin so dry even when I moisturize?
Or, at least, I’ll point you to the most common reason for dry skin despite having a great moisturizing face cream in your routine!
The very first place to start (aka a common cause of dry skin, despite moisturizing consistently) is using the wrong cleanser.
If you’re ready to stop reading because you don’t use a cleanser, stay tuned to the blog because I’m going to bust the myth that people with dry skin shouldn’t use a cleanser or it will make dry skin worse (this can often be the opposite!).
Until then, keep reading, even if you’re not using a cleanser right now – this information will be important for later.
If your skin is super dry even when you moisturize, consider whether you’re inadvertently weakening your skin’s ability to stay hydrated by poking holes in its moisture barrier with your current face wash.
Any and all cleansers can affect our skin’s natural moisture barrier.
🌵 The difference between a cleanser that supports your skin and one that doesn’t is that harsh cleansers will damage your barrier so much that it won’t be able to repair itself before you cleanse again.
🎯 If you can relate to having dry, flaky skin right now, that’s enough evidence to tell you that you need to adjust your cleanser.
Go with the mildest cleanser you can get your hands on, and stick with it for at least 3 weeks.
My top recommendations for super dry skin are:
- Soothing Sea Salt Micellar Cleanser
- while this is a “no-rinse” formula, I recommend rinsing off with water if your moisture barrier is currently compromised.
- Emollient Facial Cleanser
- this cleanser helps your skin hold onto moisture! 💧
- Need a clean slate? Scrub off a build-up of dead skin cells with our PHA Facial Scrub
- Using this scrub once a week helps remove any buildup that makes it harder for your moisturizer to absorb!
🧠 Want to learn even more about supporting dry skin?
- Stay tuned to the blog as I’ll be busting common dry skin myths!
- You can also sign up to be notified of new blog posts here.
Pin for later: